Weekend Nachos - Black Earth


I have to say I've been looking forward to this release since it was announced. When I heard A389 Recordings was going to be releasing a Weekend Nachos 7" I was stoked. One of my favorite labels releasing a record for one of my current favorite bands. Let me tell you, this 7" does not disappoint.

If you are familiar with the bands' catalog, you should know that not all of their releases sound the same. With their last release, Bleed, the band took on a bigger sludge influence, producing a 2 song EP clocking in at over 13 minutes. Black Earth is a return to their older sound, reminiscent of Unforgivable and Punish and Destroy. If you're NOT familiar with this band, think Infest meets Eyehategod with some seriously heavy mosh parts. That's the best way I can describe it.

At 4 tracks, this 7" clocks in at about 5.5 minutes, which is on par for the band. The only complaint I have, which isn't really even a complaint, is about the vocals. They're not bad by any means, they're just different from previous releases. I always liked the vocals on the previous releases, even if they did sound like The Cookie Monster was doing them. On this EP they're done in a more traditional hardcore style. Like I said, it's not really a complaint at all because they're still really great.

All in all this is an awesome EP, and if the upcoming full length is anything like this it could be top 10 material for me this year.

Rating: 4/5

You can pick up a copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment